WHAT IS COMMISSARY?
Commissary is the prison store for prisoners, or as the officials call them, clients. The clients however do not have access to the store. There is no account and money is not allowed for inmates so there are no means for them to purchase except through visitors. It is important to understand this if you are overseas and your loved one goes to prison in Trinidad/Tobago. You will not be able to add money to an inmate account for them to purchase their own items as it works in some countries. Someone has to physically go down and make the purchases on his or her behalf.
HOW COMMISSARY WORKS
- The opportunity to order from the commissary store happens before the inmate visit so you have to know what they want or give a best guess. Sometimes the inmates will come out before your turn at commissary – if you pick up the phone before you order, you may cancel your opportunity to order and be forced to take the visit, so be careful.
- At MSP/MSP Remand you are called by inmate name in order of arrival (similar to the order of which bus you ride), or in Remand Yard/YTC/Womens everyone is seated in a line to order, based on your chip number.
- There is a counter behind bars where you can observe many of the goods the “store” carries, however there are many items you either need to already be aware of or happen to ask and get a “yes.” Check out the Commissary forum to get a current idea on what is available.
- The price for items is very different from the outside. The water for instance is $5 in the store and $9 in commissary. Be prepared to pay almost double for some things. In the forum, we have a commissary forum with receipts so we can know when anything changes, along with new items or discontinued items.
- You will order and pay, they will bag and deliver. The inmate will receive the bag during your visit to ensure he has received all on your receipt. Check your receipt at the counter – make sure it is right! You can not go back after your visit or for a second time!
ITEMS FOR SALE
(THESE ARE THE USUAL STAPLES AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE – SEE OUR FORUMS TO GET THE MOST UP TO DATE ITEMS LIST)
- Milk (Supligen, Moo, Full Cream Powder)
- Toilet paper
- Juice (Orchard Punch, Caribbean Cool, sodas)
- Crackers (Dixie plain, peanut butter, cheese, guava)
- Bread (Wheat, Whole Wheat, Raisin)
- Peanut butter (small & big)
- Washing powder
- Blue soap
- Sunshine Cereal
- Condensed milk (get this for sugar substitute – no sugar available)
- Instant coffees, hot chocolate, milo – no tea
- Dates (new at the time)
- Trail Mix
- Water One
- Fruit – banana, pineapple, apples, mangos (depends on season)
- Check out our forums for the most accurate available lists….
- Prices can be 20% – 50% higher on average – maybe more and maybe less
- Check out our forums for the most accurate available lists…
Sometimes there are temporary items based on holidays. Check the forums for announcements.
- Fruit is no longer allowed to be brought to be prison for inmates. You may purchase fruit at commissary and the pricing varies.
- Check out the commissary forum to know what fruit is currently available